Monday, March 19, 2007

Wii is wonderful: even Sony's CEO thinks so!

Maybe it's just because I'm bitter about generally having champagne taste on a (broke student) budget, but I was tired of Sony's comments on the PS3 before it launched and I'm really tired of them now. Sony's Chairman CEO Sir Howard Stringer said in a recent interview that "Wii is a wonderful device, but has a different target audience. If we fail, it is because we positioned PS3 as the Mercedes of the video game field. PS3 is after a different audience and it can be whatever it wants - a home server, game device, even a computer."

What, does the P in PS3 stand for Proteus? I know that plenty of people have complained about the trend towards "jack of all trades, master of none" consoles, but it still makes me want to bang my head against a wall.

He's right, of course & it isn't comparing apples to apples when directly contrasting the Wii & the PS3, but that doesn't change the fact that the PS3 hasn't been doing terribly well and even non-gamers have gone gaga over the Wii. How will Sony's tune change if (when?) the PS3 surpasses the Wii's sales numbers?

Sony CEO: "Wii is wonderful!" [PS3 Fanboy]

No comments: