Saturday, March 24, 2007

Overheating a 360 to bring it back to life

I don't know if I'd be brave enough to try what Robert Hansing (and a lot of other people) did & purposely overheat a game console to bring it back to life, but like the mythical phoenix, his 360 sprung back to life after the experiment (and no real fires, ashes, or fire extinguishers required).

I un-wrapped it and turned it off . . . the towels weren't all that hot . . . I was on the verge of becoming angry at my inability to properly over-heat my 360 and contemplating researching at what temperature plastic starts to melt and possibly throwing it in the oven . . . but then my hand touched the surface of the Xbox . . . the *plastic* surface. It was freaking hot! Like fry an egg hot! And it was emitting an un-pleasant odor from the vents . . . the un-good my 'electronics are unhappy' smell. I could barely hold it long enough to unwrap . . . but I gently removed the towels from underneath the 360 and I let it cool for approximately 1.5 - 2 hours. Around 1am it felt cool to the touch again . . . and I decided to summons the 360 using my Harmony remote one last time before bed. My receiver turned on as did the TV . . . but not the Xbox . . . a brief moment of panic ensued . . . had I perhaps gone too far this time? I tentatively reached for the power button and well . .


I'm great at breaking electronics without so much as lifting a finger, so I'd really be afraid the thing was going to melt on me. I guess a lot of people have fixed their 360s with three flashing lights of doom this way ... I'd still be afraid of having one melted 360 & one hell of a mess on my living room floor.

Personal Jesus ... [Robert Hensing's Blog]

No comments: